Summer teaches me

Summer teaches me



Is it possible that July is here?  We are three days in and time goes faster and faster...
Wow, do I feel old when I say things like that!  But, it is so true.  These days are fleeting, the Bible says it and I believe it.
While days go quickly by, we are enjoying them. What about you?  What is your family up to lately?

Most everyone is either inside trying to beat the heat while others are splashing around in crystal blue water, squealing and having a grand ole time.  
 We've had our share of both lately.  The kids are enjoying swimming lessons.  I'm enjoying watching them learn, even if I am half melted by the time lessons are over. By the way, can I just tell you how thankful I am for trees.  Without them, I would literally be a melted mess by the time my children finished up with their lessons.  It is hot out there people!

Summer time is such a great time to make lots of wonderful memories with your families.  There's all the grill outs, 4th of July celebrations, church picnics and ice cream socials.  What's not to love? There are so many things to be thankful for, so many ways to create memories with the ones we love.

I don't know if you are like me but sometimes I can really make things too difficult.  SO often, the urge to direct, plan out and organize each and every detail encompasses my thinking.  But, I am here to say that really none of this needed . . . my children do not need me to play the role of  "group activity leader" all of the time.

On a later date, I will share about my girls but for today, I am here to say that there are only two things my boys need to have a great time together.  Okay, I admit, if you add in a third . . it will really be a party.

Are you ready? Here it is . . . 

1. Dirt
2. Some sticks or rocks

and for a party . . . ....

3. Water!

That's it, people. Really!  I'm telling you, all the money spent on little plastic toys, Legos and Playdough . . . really, there is no need in the summer.  Give them a little land and they are thrilled.


How fun it is to sit and watch as my boys play together.  What a joy!  
Listening to my "big boy" explaining to my "baby boy" how to do this or build that absolutely puts a smile on this mama's face.
Boys really are precious.  

Have you noticed?  When is the last time you sat back and listened to your children play?  Remarkable actually.  
Take the time today!
Stop for a minute what you are doing.  Don't worry, the dishes will be there when you get back . . trust me, there is always laundry but remember the days are fleeting . . 
Take the time . . . now!  Sit down and enjoy your children.
Pick up a stick.  Sit down near a mound of dirt, call your boys over and be amazed.